Saturday, January 27, 2007

Japanese Green Tea Icecream

Before coming to Hawaii I had never imagined that I would love the taste of tea leaves in something. Even though I am an avid tea drinker I make sure to strain the tea well to remove all traces of leaves, regardless of the type of tea. But, it seems it is a delicacy in Hawaii, borrowed from Japan to put powdered green tea in cream to make ice cream. It seems to be the most favourite flovor here in this island state of america, at least among the hale maonan residents. But, to tell you the truth when I had this for the first time in my life, in Bubbies, the famous ice cream parlour of our city, I just could not enjoy it.... But, then one day, many days later I had it again, with strawberries and thoroughly enjoyed it.. i thought it is perhaps the berries that has changed my taste buds.. Then i found this recipe in an asian cook book.. Looked simple enough and my friend got excited about it.. So, we bought the ingredients and made it in a rush just before the kitchen powers went out at 11 pm.... Next morning, something more happend to my taste.. I found this extremely delicious and it was superb with hot azuki bean paste....

This is really easy and i urge even novices to try this....

you just need heavy 2.5 cups whipping cream, 3 egg yolks, 1 to 2 tsp powdered sincha green tea (it gives the signature green color)!!, 2 tbs mirin, 2-3 tbs (or to taste) suger/brown sugar. Separate the eggs and keep the yolks is a small bowl. Put green tea powder in a medium size mixing bowl and mix with a table spoon of the heavy whipping cream. Heat the rest of the cream till it starts boiling.. slowly add that boiling cream to the tea mix. Whip the yolks with sugar and mirin and gradually add to the cream mix. Put this back to the pan and on medium heat cook this mixture, without allowing it to boil, to thicken slightly, enough to coat the back of a spoon.

cool this for a while and freeze. Serve with Azuki bean paste and fruits like strawberries, raspberries etc. I like it just with home made Azuki bean paste.

No comments: