1 tsp. vanilla
3 c. clean, uncooked wheat
2 c. ground walnuts or pecans
1. Soak clean wheat in saucepan covered with cold water overnight.
2. Next day: Drain water, fill pan again to cover wheat, then bring to boil.
3. Lower heat and cook 45 minutes to 1 hour, adding water when needed.
4. Drain in colander.
5. Fill saucepan with cold water again, adding wheat, and bring to another boil.
6. Lower heat; simmer for about 1 hour or until done.
7. Drain in colander again.
8. Place wheat in large bowl; add honey, vanilla and walnuts; mix thoroughly.
9. Decorate the top in the shape of a cross using Jerusalem almonds or regular almonds or pecan or walnut halves.
(Wheat is used in the Serbian Orthodox Church for the memorial service (Parastos) honoring the dead.)