Sunday, May 6, 2007

Couscous the wonderful pasta

I never realized couscous is not only versatile, easy and fast to prepare but also cheap(er) and delicious.. After reading tons of recipes on couscous, I realized that I can just play with ideas, tastes and see what I have to prepare this... There are basically very few rules and very few ways that you can really mess up couscous.. In short, I would recommend keeping some couscous handy for a quick meal.

My couscous recipe

Ingredients

1 shallot (finely chopped)
1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
1 tbs olive oil
1/4th of a bell pepper (cut into small pieces, 3/4 cm cubes)
2 tbs cashew nuts
2 tbs raisins
1/2 cup couscous
3/4 cup water (the rule is to keep a ratio of 1 to 1.5) [I added a bit more]
2 black olives
dash of lime
1/4 tomato (roma), chopped

Method

Fry the shallot and garlic till slightly golden, add bell pepper and continue to stir. Add the nuts and raisin. After 2 mins add the water and let it boil. Add the couscous, stir, and immediately remove from heat. Let it sit for 7-10 mins. Don't peek. After 7 minutes, fluff with a fork and add tomatoes, lime and olive and serve.

No comments: