Vegan Ginger Cream Cheese Glazed Banana Pancakes
makes about 12-15 pancake balls
*you can also use you own favorite pancake mix/recipe and add banana/walnuts to the batter.*
1 cup white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
a few dashes of cinnamon and nutmeg
1-2 mashed ripe bananas (about 1 1/4 cups)
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (fold in last)
for sauté: safflower oil (use as needed to coat bottom of pan)
1/3 cup crushed walnuts (optional)
Ginger Cream Cheese Glaze
1 cup tofu/vegan cream cheese (softened to room temp)
2 Tbsp vegan butter, softened
1 Tbsp vegan mayo (gives a tart accent similar to sour cream)
3 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp ground ginger powder
light grind of orange zest (or a few drops orange extract)
optional: 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
pinch of salt
soy creamer as needed – to thin out to desired consistency/
*remember that the glaze will firm up a bit in the fridge! Reheat or bring to room temp to soften back to pourable texture
1. Combine all the dry ingredients.
2. Fold in the wet ingredients – use a light beater if you’d like. Mix until smooth. This batter will be thicker than a normal pancake batter.
3. Fold in the optional walnuts.
4. Mix up your cream cheese glaze by simmering in a sauce pot until all the ingredients soften together. Use a blender for ultra smooth glaze. Remove from heat, pour into serving dish and place in fridge to chill.
5. For the pancakes, heat a large nonstick skillet. Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan completely. Wait until oil is hot. Drop spheres of batter into pan and cook about 2 minutes on each side. Reduce heat if oil is too hot – you do not want to burn, but only crisp the outside of the pancakes.
6. Cool on paper towel. Add chilled glaze over top pancakes to serve.