Red gram dal(tur) 1/2 cup
Rice 1 1/2 cups
Brinjals 2 small
Onion 1 no
Carrot 1 no
Drumsticks 2 nos (optional)
Tamarind Size of a small lime
Dry red chillies 6 (you can reduce or increase as per your taste)
Green chillies 4 nos
Fenugreek seeds 1 tsp
Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
Mustard 2 tsp
Cashewnuts 20 gms
Fresh grated coconut 1 tbsp
Asafoetida 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves Few
Coriander leaves Few
Poppy seeds(khus khus) 1 tsp
Aniseeds(saunf) 1/2 tsp
Cloves 4 nos
Cardamoms 4 nos
Cinnamon Small piece
Ghee/butter/margarine/oil For frying
Salt To taste
1. Peel the onions and cut into big pieces.
2. Cut the vegetables into 2.5 cm pieces.
3. Wash rice and dhal. Place in one of the containers with 2 1/2 cups of water, a pinch of turmeric powder and chopped vegetables. Cook in a pressure cooker till the rice is done.
4. Heat a little oil in a frying pan. Add 3 red chillies, fenugreek, coriander seeds and grated coconut. Fry until fenugreek turns golden brown in color.
5. Powder them and keep them aside.
6. Heat some more oil and fry poppy seeds, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and aniseeds. Powder them and keep aside.
7. Soak tamarind in a little water and extract juice.
8. Heat little oil, add remaining dry red chillies, mustard, curry leaves and green chillies.
9. When the mustard crackles, add to the rice and mix well.
10. Add tamarind juice and salt to taste and mix thoroughly.
11. Heat little ghee and fry cashewnuts until golden brown in color. Add to the rice along with powdered ingredients and masala powder.
12. Mix well. Remove from fire. If you like ghee, add just before serving.